'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' Recent News

‘Dragon Tattoo’ sequel still on track, Sony says

According to Sony, the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo sequel, The Girl Who Played With Fire, is still moving forward despite the lingering perception that Dragon Tattoo has underperformed.“[Dragon Tattoo] continues to do strong business and nothing has changed with respect to development of the next book,” a Sony rep tells EW.

In November, Sony Pictures co-chairman Amy Pascal told us that The Girl Who Played With Fire was definitely a go, with a targeted late-2013 release date. But Dragon Tattoo, which has grossed $60 million in the U.S. since its release on Dec. 20, is being perceived as something of a box-office disappointment (although moviegoers are enthusiastic — it received an A from audience-survey firm CinemaScore — and it seems to be holding up well over time as it chugs toward the $100 million mark). Given the film’s merely decent performance, there’s been much speculation about whether Sony will now actually move forward with the sequel. But the Sony rep tells us that “development continues” on the sequel andSteven Zaillian is still working on the script as planned. So far no director has committed to the project (Fincher hasn’t yet decided whether to return), but according to Pascal, stars Rooney Mara and Daniel Craig are both already signed up for the other two films.Last month Mara told EW she’d love to play Lisbeth again. “I don’t feel finished with the character,” she said. “I’m not ready to go back there yet, but I think by the time we start, I will be.”

Source: EW

Leave a Reply